Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Day 4: Books, Eyes, Jewelry

Man.
I wrote a post but I don't know where it went.
Last night we drove in at 1:30 am. It was so hot and humid in our car. However when I work up this morning there was HOT WATER! Hot water! Yes! You should have seen the red dirt coming off me.
I then took my malaria pill mad twenty minutes later I was over the toilet puking stomach acid. That was not fun.
We then headed to Lugazi. Here HELP set up a project awhile back where the women of the village make jewelry and sell it to bring in income. When we arrived the women greeted us with hugs, singing, a dance, and bracelets they made.

They then made us breakfast. After that we headed to a local school to read books to the children as a library outreach. This is also where I donated the books my students donated.

We stayed and played with the kids for awhile as well.

We then headed to schools to do eye testing.

After screening dozens of kids we had a mini dance party which consisted of the white people dancing while all the locals cheered us on. Who am I kidding... us? Haha. This girl can't dance.
From here we went back and got lunch. The women made the most delicious food.
Up next: a Muslim school to teach hand washing and reusable pads.

Women here are made to feel dirty and like they cannot be apart of society while on their periods so bringing Days for Girls kits and teaching about menstration is very important.
By the way my feet are on the engine which is between the driver and passenger and it's super hot.

During our lesson a huge storm rolled in and it started to down pour. Look at the river flowing on that picture, yeah, not a river. The rain was so intense we could not hear one another talking.

When this was complete we went back to the women and bought jewelry from them.

Now we are back in the bus for another 5 hour night journey.
I'm not sure what day it is or even time but this has been an incredible journey so far.

No comments :

Post a Comment