Thursday, August 3, 2017

Abu Dhabi Travel Info

I really messed up my stay in Abu Dhabi so for anyone with a long layover here are some things I learned that will hopefully help you.
- You don't need a Visa if from the US you can go straight to passport control. I arrived at 8:20pm and it took about 5 min to go through. There was no line. Once you go through you will collect your bags and then follow signs to the taxi kiosk- to your left. There are also 5 ATM machines located right by the kiosk. I got money out then went to the little store next to the kiosk and bought a water bottle for 3 so that I could have change. When I took out 300 it gave me a 100 bill and a 200 bill. Then back to the taxi area.
Again, no line. Apparently the line can get long bc they had it set up like an amusement park.
Once you go outside a man is there and just points to a taxi. I was in one of those huge black van taxis all by myself so apparently size and amount of people doesn't matter. The taxi started at 25 and was metered. At night, with no traffic it cost me 40 to go to the Crowne Plaza at Yas Island. Was about a 10 min ride. For reference the hotel charges 115 for pick up so just do the taxi route.
For days before I was nervous and stressed about coming but it turns out that was for no reason so don't be nervous to come alone.
The Crowne Plaza is about $60 American a night and is a nice hotel. It has a swimming pool that opens at 7-am but be ye warned this is the first thing I learned in my mess ups. Nothing opens before 10am and on Fridays it's even worse.
For a traveler with a short time and jet lag, this is a real bummer.
Bigger bummer the Grand Mosque is closed Fridays for worship until 4:30. It's open until 10pm and I so wish I could have made it the night before. I've heard it's amazing to see both day and night. They have free tours at set times as well.
If you are like me and have limited time in the morning I would suggest looking into a tour. I wish I had bought a desert safari tour which seems to be the only early morning thing available.
If you stay on Yas Island there is a private beach: Yas Beach. Your hotel has vouchers that will let you in, get you a towel, and a sunchair. It's free. This opens at 10 and is in walking distance from the hotel.
There is also a massive mall about 1.5 miles away- also opens at 10. Its 2.5 million square feet.
Food seems to be really expensive at least here in the hotel.
If you have more time there are multiple amusement parks here on Yas Island that look fun but I imagine would require at least half a day or longer.
The ride back to the airport in a taxi is way cheaper- 22
apparently if you start at the airport it begins at 25 and when you start anywhere else it begins at 5 and is like 1.85 per km

No comments :

Post a Comment