Saturday, August 19, 2017

The Hike Project

When I signed up for HELP you better believe I had no idea that a ten mile backpacking trip each way was going to be involved.

Neither did I know I would be using my $10 target backpack, in the pouring rain and mud, for 8 hours up insane footholds.

But... 8 hours of hiking, with a head cold and I made it!

I'm actually super impressed with myself. I've never done anything even remotely close to this. And guess what we do the other ten miles in one day. Twenty miles people!
TWENTY!

We hiked through rice fields and to an area of goats that was so gorgeous!

Look at this little goat herder. She's so cute.

I feel so accomplished right now and I didn't see any spiders today!

Sunday: this morning we woke up and headed to do some farm work. Oh before that we had some porridge that tastes just like cream of wheat, so good! Then the farm work. So you know all the pictures with the terraces? That is what we were clearing and working on. We had scythes and were chopping away and the grasses. You would not believe the bugs that came out of the grasses and mountain. So. Many. Bugs. It was also insanely hot and humid. I'm really pushing my comfort limits this project, that's for sure. We found a little dog that did the hike with us and has been hanging around.

This afternoon we walked back down the crazy mountain and helped a family plant some seeds.

They then invited us into their home for tea and corn.

In this photo the left is the bed and the right is piles or corn that are being dried. They had goats and chickens and a cow.

Isn't it nuts how we are all human on this planet but have completely different experiences?
monday: today we hiked out. It took 6 hours and I've never in my life sweat so much. I was soaked from head to toe the whole time. When the sun came out I literally thought I was going to die. Going down was surprisingly harder than going up: so much pain in the legs.

That's about all I have to say about that hike. Well, and ... I'M FREAKING GLAD IT IS OVER!

No comments :

Post a Comment