Sunday, December 7, 2014

A Frozen BBQ.

Today was spectacular.
I wish I could have more Sundays like today.
It started early this morning when we went to church. We missed our bus and had to stand in the cold. That was not spectacular. It was also not spectacular when I missed my bus coming home. There we were walking out of church and we see it. The 2g. I swear to you this always happens. We always miss the bus by a minute. Right now when it is freezing and the bus now only comes every 20 minutes, when you see it drive off without you... that's pain. 
So we start to run. Problem. I'm wearing rain boots. Problem. My joints don't work in the cold. Problem. When the only tights you brought are your mothers and are way to big in that they fall down during normal walking... they really fall down when you run. 
Problem. I missed the bus but my roommates didn't.
Stink fest.
Whatever I made it home and got to admire the snow covered Earth on my walk. 
Now let's get to the good stuff.
At 2:00 we met with Ignas' family in front of the school. We had been told we were going to do a BBQ by the lake but we really didn't know what they meant. When we saw them all in their full snowsuits we were a bit worried. There was us: jeans and jackets. Oh boy. We got into two cars and started a drive through some beautiful forest. Eventually we started doing a little off roading and then we saw the frozen lake! There were people ice fishing and a man walking across it. I got very excited. 
We pulled up and their cousin was there with a fire. This was going to be an adventure. 
Step 1. 
I needed to walk on that lake. I've never walked on a frozen lake before, let alone in Lithuania. So we did. It was sweet! I was a bit nervous at first. It got even better when the cousin brought a hole making drill and we got to make ice holes on the lake. 
Then Ignas took us into the forest with an ax. I don't have much skill with an ax. 
We headed back to the fire to try and warm our freezing bodies and numb toes. Boy my feet were cold! I have to solve this problem before China.
Now came the food.
They started putting sausages on sticks. Luckily I had told them I was vegetarian. Phew. Not another repeat of yesterday. So they had caprese for me which was so sweet. They kept bringing us food like pickled onions, pickles, bread, and on and on. After we were stuffed they told us that that food was just to hold us over and then they pulled out the chicken and veggies.

It never ended!
I ended up eating a mushroom, eggplant, tomato chopped dish covered in a sauce made from ketchup and spicy salsa. Um.
It was not the easiest thing to stomach but I appreciate them making me special food and taking time to do it. It was very sweet of them.

They also opened a whole can of green olives.
Then there was more bread and more juice and even raw bacon. Ha. Thank goodness I didn't have to try that one. Poor Hannah, taking one for the team.
Their family is so nice and so awesome for taking us on this adventure.
I want to have more real Lithuanian adventures before I come home!
After this fun we headed to down town to Cathedral square to attend Latin mass. It was really neat being able to attend in the large Cathedral.
The Christmas tree is set up and lights glisten down the streets.

I love Christmas time.
But it's so cold!

No comments :

Post a Comment