Monday, December 15, 2014

The Three Year Olds

After I teach my elementary classes I teach a handful of pre learners. This consists of 3 to 6 three year olds. 
Let me tell you when Mikele first told me I had to do this, I wanted to cry. I had my experience in church nursery and I hated it. In the beginning I would switch off half way with another girl and we tried open play.
It was a disaster.
A complete mess.
The kids were insane. There was no structure.

I still remember the first time when in desperation we decided to have snack time. 
Mikele took control of the snacks and ran it like a bigger kid SPE.
Life changer. 
The kids were seated and engaged and even said a word! It was like watching you child with their first word. 
From that day on we decided to run everything in the method we had been trained in.
Now, 5 months later. We have this down! 
Class starts with story time. Our kids now say: this one, read it to me, open it, turn the page, show me, the end. 
Then onto arts and crafts. Mikolas loves to cut, they all love glue, Anree loves to draw all over the table and put glue on people, and the girls love crafts. Emilia is obsessed with making a mom, dad, and a small baby- especially making snowmen families.
Snack times comes next but not before pulling up our sleeves and washing our hands. The bathroom is next door to the class and in the beginning the babies would not go without their parents in tow. Now they line up at the door, arms folded, and walk quietly to the bathroom. They wash their hands and then say: paper towel please. Anree still likes to steal the entire paper towel roll and throw it into the toilet though. 
Snack time. We have learned they are obsessed with Nutella and pretzels. They do not like popcorn. At all. 
Phrases: I want one. Pretzel please. Fish! Yum, yum. 
Then onto a fine motor activity like stickers, clips, stacking. Emilia loves cups so much and now she even gets them out and puts them away. They also love cars. We end by reading another book. 
Emilia loves to sing and has quite a few English songs memorized. 
Monica is obsessed with the color yellow and birds.
 Mikolas loves to repeat everything you say with your expression and hand gestures. He also loves to cut paper. Julia is so quiet but loves snack time. Anree loves to throw everything into the trash can, crumple paper, and cor all over the table. 
Is my last hour my easiest? No. But going from my most dreaded time of day to my favorite time of day? Yes. 
Even when I get bit. 

No comments :

Post a Comment