Friday, January 23, 2015

Stereotypes


Before I came to china I had a preconceived notion. 
Cute little asian children.
School comes first.
Impeccable behavior.
Preconceived it was. Stereotype? Oh yeah.
Cute? Yes.
Little? Some.
Impeccable behavior? Please excuse me as I fall off my bed in fits of laughter. 
As soon as the kids came in. No. Back up. As soon as I heard the kids coming in from outside I knew my notion was all wrong. 
One after another the masses flooded the tiny halls. Uniform after uniform. They just kept coming!
Opening was a little rough. The kids didn't want to listen so much. 
One kid grabbed a volunteers chest.
Multiple times. 
One kid decked another in the head.
One spun his token bag around his head like a maniac.
And so on and so on.
Thus began my journey as a head teacher.
From room to room I went with my loud and stern teacher voice. Drilling into the classrooms, explaining strike cards and how they would have to come see me if they got three strikes. 
I swear I frightened some of the teachers, let alone the kids.
But they behaved after that. 
For a couple minutes lol.
The next day went so much better! Openings were beautiful! 
I will say I have the best group of volunteers ever! Their strike cards are gorgeous! The amount of work they put into getting their group ready, incredible. 
Their patience levels are amazing. 
Really.
They rock. 

No comments :

Post a Comment