Thursday, August 21, 2014

Let's Talk About Food

Food in other countries is always one of my favorite things. We all know by now my obsession with grocery stores. Hopefully one day I will find someone who feels the same and wants to explore the store with me. Until then I will continue on my solo journey. Anyway here the store close to our house is:
And they have live fish.
Not quite sure how you take that one home and I don't really want to know. Although the image of a Lithuania walking down the street holding a giant clear bag with a swimming fish inside makes me laugh. Like a kid who won it at the fair- that would be great. I know they butcher them but still what a sight it would be. Site vs sight I better look that up. 
Okay now food. I love it.
Here we are fed by the Kindergarten school that is literally next door to our apartment. They feed us at the following times: 9:30, 1:30, and 8:00.
Not exactly my ideal times but when in Rome.
Breakfast  and dinner are small and lunch is huge.
Let's go over yesterday's food 
Breakfast:
Cream of wheat
Bread
Cheese

Lunch:
Beet soup
Carrot slaw
Cucumber salad
Mashed potatoes
Potatoes
Meat patties
Juice



Dinner: pancake things
Cookies

We always have some sort of oat and some sort of soup. The food is very bland because they feed it to the kids and worry about allergies so there is no salt or sugar but I am good with it beacuse it is generally healthy and totally edible. 
The pancake thing from last night was incredible! I need to learn how to make that thing. It was soooo good. 

Now the market. 


Today I went to the market which is behind the norfa grocery store. WOW YES YAHOO YAY AHHH!  This is how I feel right now! I am in heaven! They have fresh produce that is cheap and te most gorgeous produce I have ever seen. It is what fruit is supposed to look like. The tomatoes are deep crimson. The raspberries the same. The colors in the market... What color should look like. I got a huge thing of raspberries for 5 Lt which is like $2. 

Apples ended up being 15 cents each. I think this will become a daily morning outting for me until winter comes. They have yellow plums and orange tomatoes that look so good. 
Look how huge their peppers are:
And flowers!
Now I just need to find the dessert shops and we will be set!

I went to the grocery store and wanted to  try something new. So I bought this.
See that package in the middle. Well when I opened it.
That came out! It looks like a block of petrified poop. You cut it and it crumbles into a bagillion pieces. It tastes like dried out something. I can't even describe it to you. Just don't eat it.
Then in the market we saw these beautiful berries. 

Kind of resemble raspberries right? They DO NOT taste like raspberries. They start with no flavor and then a bitter weird taste swoops in. I'm thinking of melting my petrified poop and adding my bitter berries and making a sauce. Perfect. I'll let you know how it goes. 

No comments :

Post a Comment