Sunday, August 17, 2014

Lithuania: The Beginning

I had a gigantic post and then it got deleted so now you will get the cliff notes. Hope you pass your test.
Friday: woke up and headed to the grocery store. I love the grocery store. I especially love exploring grocery stores in other countires. 
Rachel went with me to explore. We decided to buy some random Lithuanian treat. It was nasty.
After the store we walked around our apartment complex which is full of many many buildings that look like ours and lots of little parks. 
Rachel is also my bed mate. Yes my bed mate. We share a bed. 

We went to our school and had a few meetings. Here is my new school:
Then we got to observe lessons done by the girls who are leaving. The kids are so cute and are going to be so much fun to work with. They are having me open a new level which will be exciting but a lot of work. I'm grateful for my teaching background since I will have these kids for 3 hours periods and be teaching almost every subject. It is going to be like going to school again for them but in English. ( we teach our classes in the afternoon and night after the kids get home from their traditional school)


Saturday:  We went to the school and organized the supply room. We are forked everything and made it pretty. If your an organization freak like me it's actually a lot of fun! 
Then we set up classrooms. From here we got to learn the bus system. 
We took the bus to Acropolis which is a giant mall. The mall has an ice rink in the middle of it wit restaurants surrounding it so you can sit and watch people play while you eat. This is a huge mall and slightly reminds me of the Mall of America. It's really beautiful. After a quick walk around the mall and a set up of my cell phone we headed into old town Vilnius. 
This is a beautiful European town with the cobblestone streets and great architecture. It's everything you would expect to see in Europe. Outdoor cafes lined the streets and carts full of gelato. Of course I had some. What do you expect? ;) 
the girls showed is all the main  sites that we will go back to visit. 
Cathedral square:
The wishing stone:

The presidential palace:
Many streets to explore
Oh and the random man who sells cat paintings.
There is so much to explore! I can't wait to spend my mornings and weekends exploring. 

Sunday: We learned how to take the bus to church. I love that church is the same no matter what country I am in. That brings a lot of peace. Everyone is always so nice and friendly too.
We also got to use a head piece for translation.  
After church we got to explore our backyard. We walked across the street and behind the school. It started with gorgeous paths and wild flowers.
And then opened into a forest.
From the forest we found a lake.
And then the beauty just continued.
This is going to be one of my favorite spots. Times like these that make me want my real camera. There were lots of people out walking and picnicking. Even boxing.
Also a rope swing for later use:
What a gorgeous place I live in.

No comments :

Post a Comment