Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The Beauty and Beast of Homemade

Ever make things by hand? It gives you a whole new appreciation doesn't it!? 
So we know I have an issue with food waste. It has consumed me since Fiji. I hate wasting food and seeing food go to waste. 
Hannah's host family is now the sole beneficiary of our massive amounts of leftover soup and weird concoctions the school makes us that none of us can stomach.... Lucky them?
Now remember the apple trees? How they are all over and hundreds of apples just litter the ground. Rotting away. I'm not sure why the lithuanias don't pick them but I am not letting them go to waste. After a quilt tying session at the Swiss apartment we brought bags and filled them with apples. Rosie got in the tree this time and shook it like crazy and we also sorted through the ones on the floor. Okay so last time we made apple Betty and sent one to Hannah's host mom and this time we decided apple sauce would be rockin. 
So Rosie and I set to work peeling and cutting apples. A LOT of apples. Do you know what it is like to peel and cut this many apples? It takes awhile. Here is where I am at now.

After peeling and cutting we started to steam them and then mash them up. Dude. Best apple sauce ever. It is so delicious! Even with the ginger bread seasoning that I thought was cinnamon. It still rocks! Now I am on batch number two. I'm doing it solo this time so it's taking muh longer but it's going to be worth it. I've also chopped and sliced dozens and put them in  the freezer so we can make apple pie for thanksgiving. It probably won't last that long, let's be real but it will make a good apple crumble in October lol. 

So anyway handmade is awesome. Especially when you are saving the apples off the streets of Lithuania. I live knowing exactly what is in my food and also knowing I saved the waste. Woohoo! 
Now back to my mountains of apples. 

Oh and PS I also used the tomatoes we would have trashed to make tomato sauce for the nasty noodles we got. Heck yes! Now it's your turn. Go make something!

No comments :

Post a Comment