Saturday, February 7, 2015

Magnum Meltdown

Three weeks ago I walked past the trash in my bathroom and beheld the most beautiful piece of trash ever; a Magnum Bar wrapper. If you are unfamiliar with Magnum you should head to your nearest store now and purchase A. Chocolate and caramel or B. White chocolate vanilla bean. You can thank me later. These are icecream bars people.
After interrogating my roommate I set out on the hunt to find me a Magnum bar. After three weeks and many failed attempts I still had not located this Holy Grail.
Fast forward.
Yesterday we set off on a month long vacation. Our school has the whole month off for Chinese Nee Year and we are using this time to travel to Southern China. 
After arriving at the airport and going through security we found our 6:15 plane was delayed until 6:50. Then until 7:30. Then until 8:40. Then 9:20. Then 10:10. Then 10:51. Everytime the Chinese voice came on the intercom I wanted to cry. After hours of sitting in the airport trying to deal with Chinese internt 
It was finally late enough that Sarah was awake and I could talk to her on her drive to work. We are having a good conversation when Nichole and Mikele walk up and in their hands are Magnum Bars. I literally flew out of my seat, grabbed her wrist, and ran to the moving walkway. In the process poor Sarah got disconnected. So there I am headphones in, phone in hand, Nichole in other hand practically sprinting to the store they found it in. 
She told me they had to dig to find one that was not coffee flavored so dig I did. There at the very bottom in the very dark corner lay one last beautiful chocolate covered Magnum bar. I snatched it and paid the 15 Y. As I opened the wrapper with lips salivating I beheld: 
The biggest let down. Ever. A mangeled and tortured bar. So broken, so refrozen, and so freezer burnt that it could not be saved. Not even by the most desperate of taste buds. It's short life ended in the trash can and I wept. 
Fast forward. We arrived in Guangzhou at 4am. Slept. Woke up and went on an adventure. 
I found myself a new Magnum bar. Yet it's glory was none like the USA. Therefore, I resign my quest. And consider it an American delicacy that I will partake in in five months time. 
Until then Magnum.

No comments :

Post a Comment