Saturday, November 15, 2014

A Hundred Thousand Crosses & A Hat

Have you ever seen hundreds of thousands of crosses?
Probably not. 
Just another reason you should come to Lithuania. 
There I am. That's just the beginning of the crosses.
Notice that dark hair? I Lithuania boxes dyed my hair, gasp. Did I write about that? It's been awhile since we talked and I don't remember. Anyway I love it. 
Back to our story. After 3 hours driving in a huge rented van and ten too many potty breaks, none of which were to relieve my bladder, we arrived here:
That right there is about as hilly as it gets here. It's more of a mound but every single little space is covered in infinite layers of crosses and rosaries. 
You can read all about the history here:
http://sacredsites.com/europe/lithuania/hill_of_crosses.html
Just look at this place, would ya!
Who else has seen anything like this? It's just so unique and awesome!
There are piles, upon piles of crosses and little paths, stairways and places to explore. Even the trees are glittered with crosses. The coolest part? It was windy and when you are standing in the crosses it is like standing in a wind chime. The metals hitting together of thousands of crosses makes the coolest sound!
Notice the new addition to the wardrobe. 
That hat. Oh it has a story. 
The story of the Pompom hat. 
I wanted a Pompom hat. I mean come on you don't get the opportunity to wear ridiculous things on your head in CA so it needed to happen here. Mikele found that blue one on clearance and the grocery store. I was bummed. So yesterday when Hannah walked in the door with a red one and proclaimed she got it for five litas I was way jelly. if I didn't have a chocolate cake baking in the oven and if I wasn't already pushing my luck to get to school on time I would have run to Maxima but instead I put my priorities in order: chocolate cake then school, and finished my day. 
School finished. I grabbed Paige and we high tailed it to Maxima. I locate the hat and the last standing right infront eyeing it down. Oh no. Snatched. Got it. Last one.
No price tag.
No problem right? Just find a similar item and they can scan that one.
Wrong.
It doesn't work like that in Lithuania people.
We get to the cashier and explain we need the hat because our friend has the other one and she bought it today for five litas. So the lady walks us back to the hats and picks out a gray one. We figure she is going to scan the gray one and give us the red one.
Stop making assumptions.
So I pay and she gives me the gray hat. We explain we don't want te gray hat we need the red one.
Supervisor comes. 
You can't have the hat.
Well why not. 
There is no tag.
Well, you need to sell it so when will it have a tag. 
We don't know. 
Seriously!?
Okay what if I run home and get my friends hat with tags? Can I have it then?
Fine.
Run home. 
( yes I'm aware this story is changing tenses)
Hannah, Hannah where are you!? She's not there.
See maxima bag, throw it open. Food crumbs go everywhere. Now it's late, my room is covered is smashed wafers and I still don't have the hat. 
I was about to give up when I saw the hat on the corner of the table. I grabbed it and high tailed it back to Maxima. 
Right as I walked in the lady was handing the hat to another cashier.
Wait, wait! I'm here. 
I give her the hat with tags so she can scan it. And the nice lady also found someone with a maxima card so I got it 40% more off! 
Finally. For only 3 litas ($1) I have my puffy Pompom hat. 
Ha. 
Ha.
That's special. 
And there are our hats visiting the Hill of Crosses. 

By the way the chocolate cake that took priority was amazing. You rember this cake: 
The one Sister Swiss made and I told you was the best cake I've ever had. Well Rosie and I made it. We didn't have cocoa so we used nesquick. It seriously looked like chocolate milk but we cooked it anyway and it was delicious. Thick, moist, undercooked amazing cake. 


1 comment :

  1. I love it! Thanks for sharing your experiences. Could you do a qr recording of the crosses? That eould be so cool! Be safe! Love your adventure!

    ReplyDelete