Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Lovo and Lali Love

When I first went to Nuku school I knew it was going to be a special place. It simply made me happy. During a pretty low week here for many of us in the house and with my spirits sinking fast this was exactly what I needed. I feel rejuvenated, refocused, and ready to reinvest.
So let's talk about today.
We arrived at Nuku at 8am to help the school prepare for a Lovo fundraiser. All the teachers and some students were hard at work. 
In one section the children were extracting coconut cream. They scraped the coconut flesh from the shell Into a large bowl. Some kids sat there and pressed it. Others then stuffed it into a sock and squeezed and squeezed until the cream came out. 
Once out they added onion and salt. Then you take the leaves of the Taro plant and cup them in your hands. You pour the coconut mix into the leaves and fold it up and put that back into the coconut shell. It goes on the lovo and cooks. Side note I find this suff vomitile but of course I still tried it because I helped make it.
Then we watched the men take huge branches and braid them over the chicken. We took these items and taro and casava to the lovo - earth oven. Then had lite a fire ontop of rocks then got rid of all the wood. They put banana bark on the rocks then te veggies and meat. On top of that went the coconut she'll with the taro leaves. They then cover the whole thing in branches and leaves and then a giant tarp. It sits for one hour and twenty minutes.
Then it is unwrapped and the feasting begins. Oh wait we also watched them make a salad which is shredded carots and cabbage in lemon juice. Then we packaged all the food in take out containers because they sold it for their fundraiser. 
Oh wait wait wait I forgot to tell you about the dessert. This whole time the headmaster of the school was taking us around and having us help and try things. Then he takes us to dessert which is casava but in sugar and something. Let's be blunt. It looks like raw chicken hearts and I wanted to die when I knew I was going to have to try it but I did and it wasn't bad. It had a gelatin texture which was odd. 
Ok so I also only ate the taro and casava and only a little bc that too I didn't like but the whole process was so much fun! Everyone there is so friendly which brings me to the second part of this happy day. This part made my whole trip. 
When I came to Nuku I saw the chasten playing these drums that were hollowed out logs and I knew that was the only souvenir I wanted to take home from Fiji. I looked and asked and tried to find them but apparently it is not something you buy. So we asked a teacher where they come from and she said you make them and then she called over these young men and said they will help you make one! Like for real!? Right then and there man. They dropped what they were doing picked up a machete and we started walking. We literally went to their backyard, they got in the bush, and came out with a huge piece or bamboo! 
Look for the man in the bush above. Then we walked in back to the school and sawed it. 
Ok you caught me. Maybe I only sawed long enough for it to be funny but hey I helped! Then they took the machete and with some god given talent wacker a hole in the middle. Bam my lali was born! Now if only I knew how to play it.
Come on now how often is it that some buff Fijian men wack down a bamboo shoot for you and then carve it. 
Today rocked.
Enough said. 

1 comment :

  1. Jess - Your posts are amazing! We talk so often about the world getting smaller all the time and how everything is becoming so alike that we often forget how much there is to learn about different people, lands, and cultures. That being said, reading your blog reminds us that people everywhere are, after all, still people - with their own trials and challenges, blessings, and joy. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us back here at home. I'm thoroughly enjoying reading about all that you are doing. I don't know how you do it, but I'm glad that you do! (I'm sure that all the people whose lives you touch in such a positive manner do, too!)

    ReplyDelete